Course testimonial from WVU IMC graduate Jane Clinton:
“IMC 627 offers students an opportunity to put IMC campaign development basics like segmenting an audience, gathering research and setting goals and objectives into practice in a specific field: healthcare. Case studies in most of the core IMC classes revolved around creative ways that large commercial brands try to get customers to buy their product. In contrast, this course focuses on communicating healthcare-related messaging, primarily marketing health behavior, marketing health organizations and services, and marketing health products and pharmaceuticals. As people live longer, they have more health issues. The world of healthcare is changing quickly and integrated marketing is vital to success. As a marketing manager at an academic medical center, studying IMC from a healthcare perspective connected more to what I do daily. I appreciated having a course that explored healthcare communication, behavior change models and theories of learning and persuasion and offered me a chance to apply what I have learned about IMC campaign development to this specific area.”
Course DescriptionExplores various levels of the healthcare campaign and marketing process. Students learn the basic types of health campaigns, theories of health behavior change, issues in designing /evaluating healthcare marketing and the effects on health outcomes.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of IMC 627, you will be able to:
- Identify factors that drive individuals’ health decisions.
- Recognize and be able to apply relevant communication and behavior change theories to an integrated health campaign.
- Develop effective communication strategies between healthcare professionals and the public.
- Integrate components such as advertising, branding, credibility, public relations and the marketing mix into an effective health campaign.
- Design a basic campaign utilizing health communication and marketing strategies.
- Gain practical skills in the evaluation of health campaigns.
|Topics in this course may include:|
|Introduction to Healthcare Communication & Marketing
|Theory Review of Health Behavior Change
|Audience Segmentation Strategies for Healthcare Communication & Marketing
|Research and Analysis for Healthcare Communication & Marketing
|Objectives/Goals/Marketing Mix in Health Communication Campaigns
|Developing Health Messages
|Selecting Health Message Channels
|Evaluating Health Campaigns
|Implementing Health Campaigns
This information was taken directly from the syllabus of this IMC course.
While it is our intent to supply students with an accurate overview of the class,
please note that the information was used in a previous session and, thus, is
t to change without notice.