What is the most exciting part of this elective?
People learn how to buy and utilize the full range of media available to IMC practitioners today. Knowing media is vital to success in modern IMC.
What skills will students take away from this course that can be applied to their
They’ll be able to do “media math” to figure out the best buys as well as understand the plusses and minuses of each type of media.
What careers/job titles might require skills from this course?
Media buyer, sales & marketing personnel, and anyone who has to write a media plan.
Course DescriptionAddresses the role of media analysis and planning in IMC. Covers basic media terminology and media math, the distinctions among media objectives, strategies and tactics and the different ways of allocating resources in media.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of IMC 614, students will be able to:
- Describe the use and importance of the media function.
- Correctly use basic media terminology and media math.
- Distinguish among objectives, strategies and tactics.
- Use different ways of allocating resources in media.
- Understand the major ways to negotiate and execute media buys.
- Identify the various components of a media plan.
- Utilize a variety of methods for conducting media tests and experiments in marketing.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of media plans.
- Identify the trends that are impacting media planning.
- Describe the significance of the Internet and social media in today’s media planning environment.
Topics in this course may include: Introduction
Media Measurements & Qualities
Using Media in Marketing
Critical Aspects of Strategy
The Media Plan
New Media, New Rules; Buying in an Age of Change
Driving a Hard Bargain – Buying Traditional Media & Using Longtime Marketing Methods
This information was taken directly from the syllabus of this IMC course. While it is our intent to supply students with an accurate overview of the class, please note that the information was used in a previous session and, thus, is subjec t to change without notice.