What is the most exciting part of this elective?
Over the term students analyze a current campaign of their choice. It gives them an opportunity to really examine cause/corporate partnership and critique the tactics but also explore who benefits from the campaign. Students are often surprised by the vast numbers of cause/corporate partnerships that exist today.
What skills will someone take away from this course that can be applied to their career?
In this course we look at all of the elements of developing a campaign, so students learn how to analyze how the mission of the partnership relates to the target market and the strategy behind the campaign as well as how to evaluate the effectiveness of the campaign.
What careers/job titles might require skills from this course?
As the field of cause marketing grows, so do opportunities in nonprofit, government, and private industry. Some of the positions being advertised right now that require knowledge of cause marketing are manager of corporate partnerships, corporate outreach officer, community outreach manager, corporate social responsibility officer, and director of marketing partnerships. There are marketing firms today that specialize in these partnerships, so exposure to cause marketing can give you a boost in nearly any position within an agency.
Course DescriptionExamines the marketing techniques used by businesses to make a difference in the world, focusing on partnerships between businesses and non-profit organizations. Through case studies, the history and uses of cause marketing are examined as well as predictions for the future of the marketing practice.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of IMC 624, students will be able to:
- Define cause marketing and understand how it differentiates from charity.
- Discuss the history of cause marketing.
- Explain campaign target markets and demographics of consumers most likely to respond to cause marketing.
- Identify the benefits to corporations, nonprofits and society created by cause marketing.
- Learn the dangers and pitfalls of cause marketing.
- Be able to identify the consumers that are more likely to be interested in this form of marketing.
- Identify the steps necessary to create a cause marketing campaign.
- Analyze a current campaign and make recommendations for improvements.
|Topics in this course may include:|
|Overview of Cause Marketing
|Development of Cause Marketing
|Cause Marketing Tactics: Products
|Cause Marketing Tactics: Issues & Social Marketing
|Who Benefits from Cause Marketing?
|When Things Go Wrong in Cause Marketing
|Creating Cause Marketing Campaigns
|Planning & Evaluation of Cause Marketing Campaigns
|The Future of Cause Marketing
This information was taken directly from the syllabus of this IMC course.
While it is our intent to supply students with an accurate overview of the class,
please note that the information was used in a previous session and, thus, is
t to change without notice.