Augmented Reality & Virtual Reality in IMC
What is the most exciting part of this elective?
Augmented and Virtual Reality (AR and VR) are the next generation of platform opportunities (beyond desktop and mobile) for brands to build relationships with their customers. The unique functionality of AR and VR provide a profoundly immersive, personal and focused content experience with a brand.
What skills will someone take away from this course that can be applied to their career?
They will be able to discuss the benefits and opportunities of tablet/smartphone-based AR, 360° video, mobile VR, and high-end AR and VR. They will bring innovative ideas to the table that focus on branded storytelling, empathy, utility and value using AR and VR technology. They will also be able to navigate the tricky questions of technology accessibility and software limitations.
What careers/job titles might require skills from this course?
Sales, marketing, PR and creative leaders in a variety of industries including: retail, fashion, health, hospitality and sports.
Examines how brands are using transformational Augmented and Virtual Reality (AR and VR) platforms such as Google Cardboard, Samsung GearVR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Microsoft HoloLens to expand customer interaction and build brand affinity. This course focuses on how brands have effectively combined technologies as part of an integrated marketing communication approach. Students will complete the class by creating an AR or VR proposal for brand of their choice.
Course Level Objectives:
- Define AR and VR, and the unique content marketing value they provide to brands.
- Select AR/VR experiences that can be used as part of an IMC plan.
- Compare and contrast the features and benefits of industry-leading AR and VR platforms.
- Evaluate the ways in which brands can use tablet/smartphone-based AR in their promotions.
- Explain how content experiences using headset-based VR platforms can engage consumers across different verticals.
- Summarize the considerations for ensuring smooth consumer access to AR/VR experiences and assess the critical success factors of an AR/VR experience.
- Produce objectives, strategies and tactics for an AR or VR experience to deliver storytelling, gaming and utility content.