The Morgantown Area Chamber of Commerce is hiring for the position of Director of Communications. The Director of Communications will continue to develop and implement a robust communication plan for the Chamber and Morgantown Area Partnership (MAP) promoting its mission and programs, and our members. He or she will work with all staff to advance their programs and projects by creating marketing communication materials, all outbound correspondence, advertising and social media. He or she will also supervise all public/media relations and community relations activities.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing or similar field. At least 5 years professional experience in the communications/marketing field; experience in a not-for-profit environment a plus. Exceptional communication and proofreading skills. Demonstrated ability to learn quickly, multi-task, build relationships and pay attention to details. Demonstrated ability to organize, coordinate, set priorities and meet deadlines. Ability to work as a team member and independently. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter, resume and 3 writing samples to Terri Cutright at the Chamber, email@example.com. No phone calls please.
The requirements for the position stated below are not all inclusive.
1. Overall Communication
- Create, update and help implement comprehensive communication plans for the Chamber/MAP in keeping with the Chamber’s/Map’s vision and mission.
- Identify the best vehicles through which to deliver strategic messages to target audiences. Channels include social media, print and electronic collateral, publications, media, speaking opportunities, and advertising opportunities.
2. Publications (Electronic and Printed)
- Research, write, design, and secure photography for bi-weekly issues of the Chamber newsletter and the weekly Monday Memo.
- Work with staff and the webmaster/graphic design manager, to create marketing materials, including brochures, invitations, fliers, and programs for the various departments, programs, activities, and events.
- Work with the Dominion Post yearly on the Chamber Membership Directory, in cooperation with appropriate staff and contract-publishing companies.
- Work with all staff/departments to assist with special writing and research needs.
- Work with vice president of member engagement and IT services to publicize sponsorships and help provide the writing and creation of marketing materials, as needed.
3. Media and Community Relations
- Develop and execute a Chamber media relations plan that includes press releases, press events, photo-coverage requests, and ongoing communications/relationship building with members of the media.
- Provide media with newsworthy and timely feature story ideas as appropriate about new businesses and members of the Chamber.
- Brainstorm, advise, and/or train staff in media relations as needed.
- Work with membership department to distribute “new business” press releases created by members.
- Build relationships and coordinate efforts with public relations/marketing personnel from other major community partners and media.
- Manages the webmaster/graphic design manager, ensuring effective creative execution.
- Create content for and oversee all social media platforms, and research and plan paid advertising campaigns via social media as needed.
- Manage ChamberMaster and support the CEO and vice president of membership engagement and IT services.
- Provide oversight, editing and/or proofreading assistance to staff as needed.
- Special writings, including grant writing, letters, and reports as needed.
- Assist CEO, COO, and other staff with sensitive writing, economic development proposals, speeches, fact sheets, position statements, etc.
- Ensure equal-handed, appropriate, and professional coverage of news, calendar events, and other communications requested by members.
- Conduct periodic membership surveys using web-based technology. Help analyze results and potential impact on programs, events, and activities.
5. Internet Maintenance
- Work with the webmaster to provide oversight for website updates and redesigns.
- Work with graphic design manager to identify and create advertising as appropriate for all departments.
- Create op/ed and advertising copy for special newspaper supplements highlighting the Chamber/MAP and the community.